Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Practice Run!


Last night we got to do a practice run of going to the hospital! I have had this annoying headache for about a week now and really didn't think much of it. At our appointment on Thursday with our new doctor my blood pressure reading came back borderline high (149/86 I think). The bottom number we really don't want to get into the 90s-100s (100s means get that baby out) and the top number needs to be lower than 150. So... I was borderline. But, there was no protein coming from my kidneys which would indicate preeclampsia. The doctor told me to just keep an eye on my headache (which was being caused by the high blood pressure) and if it got worse, to let them know. Otherwise, I was directed to take it easy over the weekend and come see him again on Monday versus a whole week later. 

We took it easy over the weekend, and by Sunday my headache was starting to feel like it was going away. Monday morning my BP was down in the low 70s (bottom number) range which was good and I was cleared to come back in a week. Tuesday, I drove up to Logan and back home and on the drive home I noticed my headache was back and was starting to really bug me. Taking Tylenol hadn't worked the week before so I didn't take any this time either. I got home, took my BP with an electronic cuff I'm borrowing and it was pretty dang high (140/95). Called my Mom and the nurses at the women's center and they both told me to lay down and rest for an hour and then take it again. An hour later- 141/91. The nurses had me come in and get my BP checked to see what was up. At the clinic the bottom number actually read at a 96 so I was really cookin' the books! A blood test was ordered to check for preeclampsia (again, still no protein) and I would be called by the morning with the results from the lab. K, great. I went home, rested, watched tv, the whole bit and by 8:45pm my headache was creeping back...

By 8:45pm I was at 150/100... time to call the doctor. Got a hold of him and he told us to go into Labor and Delivery and have them check me out... OK! Here we go!! We grabbed the hospital bag, gave Spaz kisses, and headed out the door.

9:20pm-arrive in Emergency where I get told to sit in a wheelchair and Trevor pushes me down the halls to Labor and Delivery. We went through the whole sha-bang.... gown, slippers... the whole bit. Ps. Those gowns are IMPOSSIBLE to figure out how to put on. After getting my BP taken (in the 92 range) the nurse started hooking me up to fetal monitors to watch the baby and kept taking my blood pressure. I'm not sure if it was all the beeping of the machine, hearing her heartbeat, the way I was laying on the bed, or what but all of a sudden I start feeling really warm. I ask Trevor if he's hot and he says no, so I'm thinking it's just because of the sheet that's laying on top of me. Next thing I know, I'm starting to sweat and I know what's coming... I warn the nurse, "I'm going to pass out" and away I go. It's been a while since I have fully passed out and lemme tell ya... I really don't like it. I've been on the brink of blacking out (gestational diabetes blood draw back in August) but I didn't go all the way. This time... apparently I was out for a while. Trevor was so great. I totally freaked him out with passing out and my hand going limp in his, he said my eyes rolled to the back of my head, and all of the color was gone from my face... then of course, nurses come running in and I guess they were pulling me to my side, lowering the bed so I wasn't sitting up so much, and putting an IV into my hand (which I did end up feeling). I remember coming out of it and hearing one nurse asking me if I had fallen asleep on them, and another nurse saying, "Come on baby, get back up. Come on..." Hearing that... whoosh. Talk about an anxiety rush. Basically, my pulse sky rocketed, blood pressure crashed, which caused baby to respond and her heart rate dropped dangerously low as well. Moral of the story.... PASSING OUT IS BAD!! But, if you're going to do it... pass out in a hospital haha they had an oxygen mask and fluids getting into my system so fast it was unreal. It took me a while to fully come out of the episode and I guess I kept saying, "I'm sorry... oh man, I'm so sorry" hahaha like I had any control over whether I passed out or not ;-)

Long story a tad shorter, they took some blood, ran a PIH (preeclampsia) test and the results came back normal. I did have a little bit of protein from my kidneys but I guess not enough to be alarmed. With passing out, my blood pressure didn't reach the 'too high' zone again so the doctor sent me home and I'll see him on Tuesday at my appointment. All in all, it was a very eventful and stressful night. But the bottom line is I'm ok and more importantly baby is ok and still looking great. Not going to lie though, I really hope we don't have to go back to the hospital until it's "time"... we could hear a lady delivering and she was... a screamer... Trevor and I kept looking at each other and I kept asking, "What have we done?! No more kids. Oh man." hahaha quite fun!

My poor mom was so worried. Trevor kept texting her with updates and she had already finished packing her bags, was finishing the dishes and knew that the next flight was at 6:30am the next morning... She was ready to jump! Hahaha luckily, we can rest easy for a little while longer and see how things go. I wouldn't mind having her come out earlier than planned tho if I keep having issues... plus, I just miss her so having her here will be so great :) We kept both our mom's in the loop and both moms slept with their phones by their beds-- how lucky am I to have them in my life?! Especially one so close that I can call her if something happens and my mom isn't here!! I feel so blessed today after last night!!

Trevor really was such a superstar. He held my hand through the ENTIRE ordeal and kept moving around the bed to give the nurses room but making sure he had one of my hands. He is so sensitive to my needs and knows exactly what to do to calm me down. There's nothing better than that. We didn't get home until almost 1am and he normally gets up at 5:30am to get ready for work.... yeah.... he still got up on time and got ready when he could have gone in late if he wanted. He is so great!! Here's to parenthood and my awesome guy!!! XOXOXO





No comments:

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for reading!